At the AEK Group, we recognize our responsibility to protect and preserve the environment for future generations to come. Effective environmental management has an important role in the success of our business and the achievement of our long-term sustainability goals.
Wastewater Treatment System and Generation of Power from Farm Waste
Our applied systems are as follows:
- All waste from the production process is drained to a sump.
- A closed system controls waste flow from the farm via underground pipes to a covered wastewater treatment pond in order to prevent the escape of unpleasant odors.
- The waste is fermented in an airtight environment and processed into methane gas.
- Enough methane is produced to meet 50% of the farm’s power needs.
- Wastewater is drained to the wastewater treatment pond. Water in the final pond is required to meet the standard of BOD (Biological Oxygen Demand) and COD (Chemical Oxygen Demand) prior to release.
- The company has initiated a collaborative project with the neighboring community by using the treated wastewater for agriculture. Local farmers are allowed to install pumps and have unlimited access to the water for irrigating their orchards and farms. This is regarded as one of the company’s CSR initiatives.